CS 98/198-8: Hands-On UNIX System Administration
- (1/16) Welcome to the Sysadmin DeCal!
The syllabus has been uploaded.
The Spring 2012 Sysadmin DeCal meets on Mondays from 6-8PM
in 275 Soda and is facilitated by Jordan Salter, Dara
Adib, and Felix Wong. Office hours are held by
appointment (don't be shy!).
We'll cover the setup and administration of a production-quality
UNIX server, suitable for web/mail hosting, shared shell hosting
à la the EECS Instructional servers, and the like. Topics
include general UNIX proficiency (which is also useful in CS courses),
the Internet infrastructure, and system administration essentials. For
more details and grading policy, please see the course syllabus.
- (1/23) Course overview; introduction
to UNIX and the shell (slides, lab, survey)
- (1/30) The file system (slides, lab)
- (2/6) Multi-user environments (slides, lab)
- (2/13) Compiling software; package management
(compiling software slides,
package management notes,
- (2/20) Academic holiday
- (2/27) Shell scripting (slides, lab)
- (3/5) Tricks of the trade (slides, lab, mbox file, project
- (3/12) Server services (slides, lab)
- (3/19) Server services, cont'd (mail slides, more slides, lab)
- (3/26) Spring break
- (4/2) When disaster strikes (slides, lab)
- (4/9) Special topics
- (4/16) Wrap up final projects
- (4/23) Final project presentations!
If you need help, ask on Piazza or send us an email!
- Anything decal related: decal at ocf.berkeley.edu
- Jordan: jordan.salter at berkeley.edu
- Dara: daradib+decal at ocf.berkeley.edu
- Felix: waf at berkeley.edu
GNU/Linux and Mac OS X users should already have SSH installed.
Windows users should use PuTTY.
There are a few servers you can connect to:
- cory.eecs.berkeley.edu, nova.cs.berkeley.edu, star.cs.berkeley.edu —
the most popular INST SPARC Solaris login servers (use your
cs198-xy class account)
- ssh.ocf.berkeley.edu — the OCF x86 Debian GNU/Linux login server (use your OCF
- coupdetat.ocf.berkeley.edu — the dedicated DeCal server hosted by the OCF;
connect to your virtual server by SSHing first into coupdetat (use your OCF account)
and then again into your virtual server
valid xhtml 1.1,